No matter where you live, no matter your religion, no matter your ethnicity, gender, or any other classification you identify with, you are a member of a community. And there are people in that community who are suffering great hardships, particularly in times like these. Fortunately, there are ways that you — ways that all of us — can help the people in our area who need it most. By getting involved in your community, the smallest of services can make the biggest difference.
If you’re looking for ways to serve your community and the world beyond, here are some ideas that can help you get started.
Get informed on the issues
It helps to first learn about the prevailing issues faced by many people in your community.
– There are more than 500,000 homeless individuals in the United States alone.
– There are approximately 9 million child abuse cases reported in the U.S. each year.
– There are more than 54 million individuals, or one in six, who live food insecure.
– Additionally, there are countless homeless pets across the country.
Volunteer for local organizations
One of the most practical ways to help those in your community is to dedicate your time and energy through service.
– Consider donating your time at CTV North Suburbs and help us produce digital media that highlight different aspects of the community.
– Volunteering at your local library is a great way to help children in your area learn and engage in healthy after-school activities.
– If you want to help build, repair, and maintain homes for others, consider volunteering at the nearest Habitat for Humanity.
– By volunteering at a local food bank, your family can help feed the hungry.
– Visiting a local retirement home can provide you with opportunities to enrich the lives of seniors in your community.
Donate to a variety of organizations
There are plenty of local, national, and international organizations that you can donate money to and make a big difference.
– Along with providing communities with inexpensive clothing and other household necessities, Goodwill Industries also gives work opportunities to those in need.
– PetSmart Charities is a national organization renowned for benefiting animals.
– Action Against Hunger, Save the Children, and World Medical Relief are some of the top international organizations to consider donating to.
Other ways to contribute to the community
In addition to volunteering and donating to a cause, you might want to consider starting a nonprofit of your own, or embarking on a community-oriented career path.
– Research tips on choosing the right nonprofit career path.
– Learn all about starting and managing a nonprofit organization.
– If you’re open to a career change, consider becoming a teacher — this is a great way to make a difference in the field of education, and you can easily work on obtaining your teaching license online.
You can make a difference in your community and elsewhere if you want to. Learn about the various issues that people are facing, and look into local organizations where you can volunteer your time and energy. And since money can help significantly, research local, national, and international organizations to find one (or more) that you can support financially.
CTV North Suburbs is a digital media production organization that produces community focused digital media to educate and engage our citizens. We identify important community content to bring media attention, and partner with local businesses, grants, and agencies to fund those video projects. Contact us if you would like to learn more, or consider volunteering or donating to our cause.